[Thinkpad] error 08611 - HELP!

Chris Schumann cschumann at twp-llc.com
Tue Nov 18 12:42:54 CST 2003

> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:27:46 -0500 (EST)
> From: Joel Wilson <jowils at unx.sas.com>

> i am getting the message 'Error 08611'.
>
> i was trying to resolve some TrackPoint issues i am having. the TrackPoint
> worked fine until i upgraded from Win98 to XP.  in order to try to
> configure the TrackPoint, i downloaded a version of the ThinkPad
> Configuration program that was supposed to work with XP. i installed it,
> & am now getting the error message.
>
> i can't seem to get it to load the operating system.

Error 08611 means the TrackPoint has failed. Seems your TrackPoint was
already having problems and now it's completely failed. I would try
blasting some air into it and rebooting. If that fails, I would open the
keyboard and look for loose connections and cold joints. After that, I
would replace the keyboard assembly.

Looks like it has nothing to do with XP or your drivers.

Go to IBM's support site and get your Hardware Maintenance Manual.

If you can, connect an external mouse, go into the BIOS and disable
the TrackPoint. That should allow you to boot.

Chris